Thursday, January 04, 2007

High up in the Hyatt

I splurged for wireless broadband access, so I could post while in Washington. This is one expensive hotel. Continental breakfast was $21.00! Various bottles of booze can be delivered to your room for prices that would net you a case of decent wine. Needless to say, I didn't order a bottle of the cheapest wine (Beringer, White Zinfandel Napa -- $32.00) but did have a glass of white wine for $7.50 to accompany last night's dinner with Sherrod and Connie. Heck, when in Washington and hobnobbing with the rich and powerful, why not pretend for a moment that one can actually afford to pay that much money for a glass of wine?

I'm on the 9th floor of the Hyatt, looking out on an impossibly sunny January 4th, the day we all can celebrate the first woman Speaker of the House. We can also ask, why it has taken so long and why are there still so few women in public service roles?

I have taken lots of pictures which I wanted to post today. However, it turns out my laptop doesn't have a decent photo editing program on it. I always use my Mac for photo work and now I remember why! So you will have to wait until later for pictures of Ted Kennedy! Yes -- he dropped in the lobby of the event for a quick meet and greet. I also have some nice pics of Sherrod and Connie and Stephanie Tubbs Jones.

This morning is rather a nuisance. We have to check out by 11 but the bus doesn't leave until 3. The swearing in is at noon. I had big plans to get up early and run around DC on my own, but instead I opted for a leisurely morning with breakfast, newspaper and coffee. After I check out of this room, I'll be heading to the swearing in viewing room, then I hope to make one short break away to get to the Folger library. We'll see how that goes!

More later...
Vil

No comments: