Sunday, May 20, 2007

Low Impact Week approaches

Crunchy Chicken has a blog by the same name that is focused on environmental issues. She discusses the practicalities, such as using Diva Cups for menstruation, reducing Q-tip usage or what to use instead of the paper toilet seat protectors in public restrooms. I found her blog via No Impact Man's blog. Inspired by online discussions on how to encourage more people to lower their impact upon the environment, Crunchy is promoting Low Impact Week from June 1st to the 7th.

Here are the 7 points to focus on:

1. Reduce energy consumption
2. Reduce water usage
3. Change your food habits

4. Reduce your dependence on paper products

5. Reduce your garbage output

6. Reduce Single Occupancy Vehicle usage

7. Do something that lasts more than a week

Specific things to do can be found here.

Here is a list of what I have done so far in each of the categories:

1. Reduce energy consumption
* I have replaced all incandescent bulbs in my house with compact fluorescent bulbs
*When I turn off my computer, I also turn off the surge protector that holds a full load of energy sucking devices.
*I wash clothes in cold water.

2. Water usage
* I set up an old plastic trash bin under a waterspout to collect rain water for the garden
* I turn off the water while brushing my teeth

3. Change your food habits
*I have switched to a vegan diet (after 35 years as a vegetarian)
*I try to buy things with less packaging

4. Reduce your dependence on paper products. (I would change this category to include plastic products.)
*I've stopped buying paper towels and use cloth rags instead

5. Reduce your garbage usage
*I recycle all vegetable matter in a compost bin
*I recycle everything that I am allowed to put in my city-issued blue recycle bin

6. Reduce single occupancy vehicle use
This one is pretty difficult to do when you are a single-home dweller. I do live less than a mile from my place of work, so that should count for something!

7. Do something that lasts longer than a week.
Everything I've listed so far has lasted more than a week and has not been a major hassle to accomplish. I've been looking at horror at all the personal care products in my bathroom that are sold in non recyclable containers. This is an area that I need to investigate and make some changes. Anybody have an idea what to use instead of a stick deodorant in a non-refillable non-recyclable plastic container?

I encourage all readers to spread the word about Low Impact Week and make a list of things that you can do to lower your impact upon the environment.

1 comment:

Crunchy Chicken said...

Wow, not that's some initiative! I think you get an 'A' for Low Impact Week.

I'll add you to my co-sponsors list.