Monday, February 12, 2007

Happy Darwin Day!

Charles Darwin is 198 years old today! In celebration, be sure to check out eSkeptic, the email newsletter of the Skeptics Society. This is what is on offer:
"... a short excerpt from Michael Shermer's Why Darwin Matters on “What Evolution Is,” and a review by Tim Callahan of a wonderful new book written by Edward Humes on the Dover Intelligent Design trial, entitled Monkey Girl. Enjoy as we celebrate one of the greatest thinkers in history.

Tim Callahan is Skeptic magazine’s religion editor and author of the books Bible Prophecy and The Secret Origins of the Bible."

You can access it online here.

Planning a trip to NYC? Be sue to visit the Natural History Mueseum's brand new Anne and Bernard Spitzer Hall of Human Origins. They have a very nice online presence, with lots of support for researchers, visitors and educators.

It's a good idea to review the evidence every now and then -- because the un-evolved among us continue to try to hobble science and cast out Darwinism as the work of the devil. The following illustration was found on a bible-code web site that attempts to link the death of Saddam Hussein with various "prophecies."

I've never understood the anger that some people feel about descending from apes. They act like it is so insulting, when really it is quite an honor. Apes are amazing creatures and we would do well on this Darwin Day to pay tribute in some way. Put on Apeman by the Kinks, and do an apeman dance around the room in tribute to your distant ancestors!

I think I'm sophisticated
'Cos I'm living my life like a good homosapien
But all around me everybody's multiplying
Till they're walking round like flies man
So I'm no better than the animals sitting in their cages
in the zoo man
'Cos compared to the flowers and the birds and the trees
I am an ape man
I think I'm so educated and I'm so civilized
'Cos I'm a strict vegetarian
But with the over-population and inflation and starvation
And the crazy politicians...

No comments: