Thursday, January 24, 2008

So long Dennis, and thanks...

...for representing those of us whom some people like to stigmatize as the far-out lefties, the old hippies, the peace-niks and so on. Although there are a few issues I am probably more libertarian than progressive, when it comes to presidential candidates, Dennis was the one I always found myself closest to -- no matter what quiz or political compass I happened to be taking.

I didn't care much for the new-age spiritual tones he occasionally brought into his speeches, but I could put up with them a lot more than all the earnest avowals of religious faithfulness I hear from the others, regardless of party.

The thing I admired most about Dennis, was his fight to keep Cleveland's municipal power operations out of the hands of corporate ownership. That's the kind of personal history that means something when choosing a candidate.

Some people brought up his history of voting against a woman's right to choose for so long as a reason not to vote for him. I imagine it was tough for a good Catholic boy to go against his upbringing, but finally he did and I give him full credit for it.

No candidate is perfect, but there should be someone to represent all the segments of society, not just those who reside in or near the center on either side. I voted for Dennis in the 2004 primary and was planning on voting for him in this one. Not sure what I'm going to do now -- maybe a write in vote for Barbara Boxer. As for now, I'm staying out of the Obama/Clinton brouhaha. I'll support the winner in the fall. As someone who didn't vote in the Gore vs Bush sham election, I don't think I could bring myself to sit this one out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One admirable quality that was largely overlooked was that Dennis was able to balance his campaign budget. He didn't take outrageous loans to pay for his campaign. Two others have done the same - John Edwards and Ron Paul.

Dennis was a great "issue candidate," and I'm glad he insisted on being included in the debates. I think most people's ideals line up with his, whether they know it or not.