| By Ian Youngs |
Music reporter, BBC News
The Kinks have begun writing new songs ahead of a possible reunion, singer Ray Davies has said.
"We've started a little bit of this and that," he told BBC News. But it is too early to judge the quality, he said.
"It depends if there's good music. We want good new music. I'd like to do it as a more collaborative thing than we used to do."
The Kinks were one of the most popular and influential bands of the 1960s, and last performed together in 1996.Published: 2008/11/05 10:18:24 GMT
In September, Davies said any reunion would also depend on the health of bandmate and brother Dave, who suffered a stroke in 2004. But Dave is currently well, the singer said.
The Kinks were responsible for classic '60s hits like You Really Got Me, Sunny Afternoon, Waterloo Sunset and All Day And All Of The Night.
Ray Davies would have to fit a reunion around his solo US tour, an album with a choir and a further album of collaborations.
He is aiming to duet with a range of artists, including Razorlight frontman Johnny Borrell, Snow Patrol and some previously unknown talents.
"I don't just want to do usual suspects," he said. "I'd love to do something with Johnny, but I'd like to find new bands. Unsigned even. I usually like the underdogs."
He is also hoping to enlist rock 'n' roll pioneer Chuck Berry.
"I've never met the man but he was one of my heroes as a lyricist," he said. We'll see how it works out - a mixture of Snow Patrol and Chuck Berry. It should be an interesting record."
Meanwhile, Ray has made plans for a solo tour in the States this fall. Not to Ohio, alas. I'm afraid I've blown my traveling dollars this fall, and so will not be in attendance. Unfortunately none of these dates are during my winter break off from school break.
Here are the tour dates, courtesy of the Unofficial Kinks Web Site:
- 28 Nov, 2008: Tampa Theatre, Tampa, Florida
- 29 Nov, 2008: Fillmore Miami Beach at The Jackie Gleason Theater, Miami, Florida. Tickets from Ticketmaster
- 30 Nov, 2008: Hard Rock Live, Orlando, Florida. Ticket info. Also Ticketmaster
- 2 Dec, 2008: Variety Playhouse, Atlanta, Georgia. Tickets on sale today (Fri., Oct. 10) at Ticketmaster
- 3 Dec, 2008: Wildhorse Saloon, Nashville, Tennessee. Tickets from Ticketmaster
- 5 Dec, 2008: Borgata Music Box, Atlantic City, New Jersey
- 6 Dec, 2008: Bardavon 1869 Opera House, Poughkeepsie , New York
- 8 Dec, 2008: 9:30 Club, Washington, DC. Tickets from Tickets.com
- 10 Dec, 2008: Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel, Providence, Rhode Island. There's ticket info here.
- Venue change: 11 Dec, 2008: Higher Ground, Burlington, VT. Radio station WBKM is promoting the show. Tickets on sale now at frontgatetickets.com
- 12 Dec, 2008: Hammerstein Ballroom, New York, New York. Tickets from Ticketmaster. Also some ticket info here.
- 13 Dec, 2008: Paramount Theatre, Asbury Park, New Jersey. Tickets from Ticketmaster